Sunday, 2 September 2012

Believe that the Job You Do Makes a Difference

When St Paul's Cathedral was being built, Sir Christopher Wren, the architect, was walking around the site one day and came upon a young apprentice carrying a hod. Wren asked the boy what he was doing. "I'm just carrying bricks, sir" came the reply. "No", said Wren, "You are building a cathedral".

Yesterday I wrote about the book "The Heart of Success" by Rob Parsons. In particular, I focused the post on the Law number one ('Don't Settle for Being Money Rich - Time Poor') of the seven that are described by the author in his work. 

Today I would like to write about the Law number two which I strongly believe in: 'Believe that the Job You Do Makes a Difference'.

The chapter starts with the author writing that his father was a postman and once, when he still was a child, he asked the father: "Don't you ever get bored of just pushing letters through doors?". The father replied: "Son, your father delivers the Royal Mail. People rely on me - businesses, armies and police forces, friends and relatives from overseas - I deliver all their letters. You should come with me one day and see somebody waiting at their door to see if I've got a letter for them. It may be about a job they've been hoping for or from a daughter they haven't heard from for a while, or perhaps just a birthday card. No son, I don't get bored".

The message here is powerful. People and companies need to have or perhaps to rediscover a sense of pride in what they do. Every job has worth, it should be done with dignity and as well as it possibly can. Doing a job  that way brings satisfaction to both the people who perform the tasks as well as the people who receive the service. 

To make his point the writer says: "My father was proud to be a postman; he believed that the job he did made a difference in people's lives. It brought him satisfaction to do it well. He did it with dignity, as well as he could and with all his heart. My father delivered letters for sixty-six years. In all that time he had only eleven days' absence due to sickness. When he retired the Queen gave him a medal: it was for delivering the Royal Mail".