Monday, 1 October 2012

The Importance of Taking Action

“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it” (Goethe)
 
The last book that I read is the “Entrepreneur Within” by Brian Chernett. This post is about a chapter of the book that talks about the importance of taking action.
In particular, the below marginalia are some sentences that I extrapolated from that chapter and that I wanted purposefully to leave as they were originally written. I found them very meaningful and powerful:
"Unless we take positive action for change, nothing  will happen.
Sometimes, we can feel blocked and unable to function and spend our time reflecting on what it is that is blocking us. This inertia can seem disabling and as we spend more time thinking about it, completely impossible to overcome.
Only our choices prevent us from being the best that we know we can be.
Motivation (or the lack of it), fear, the culture of which we are part and the messages we have been given whilst growing up, are barriers to taking actions and achieving our goals.
It is important therefore to move from a position of negative thought to a position of positive thought. This process requires belief.
“Positive thought creates the positive action that leads to achievement”
Often the fears that prevent you from acting are not real, just a story that you tell yourself. You don’t have to tell that story. If you can find out where it is coming from, you can overcome it.
Take your goals and take ownership of them. Nothing can stop you achieving, providing you take the responsibility and don’t blame others. Anything we don’t do is not because someone else told us not to do it or because something else happened. We did not do it because we chose not to do it. “We always have choice”.
Keeping your goals SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time Based) and creating a habit of progressing and achieving your goals – as an individual and as a business – will result in the development of a virtuous circle and an attitude of success.
“As you get into the habit of looking at everything positively, good things will happen around you”
Giving permission and encouragement will motivate those around you to achieve the results you do want and some you didn’t expect.
To take action you have to start loving yourself. You have to start to recognise that you have value; that your glass is half full and not half empty.
“Successful people take action wherever they are, whenever the opportunity arises”
People who achieve take action in every part of their lives. They take responsibility and ownership for what they do. They share their goals, their challenges and their dreams with others. By taking small steps and believing they can achieve, they do achieve.
As we travel through our daily lives we accumulate habits and activities that once were useful but are now no longer needed or could be done in different ways. Getting rid of this accumulation allows you to simplify and focus.
“Leadership and management should begin with our own cluttered lives”
Great leaders spend 75% of their time creating a culture that encourages their people to develop their strengths leaving only 25% for their weaknesses. Most of us reverse this procedure, spending far too much time on weaknesses, with the result that people seldom achieve their full potential".